Friday, September 08, 2006

A Tribute to a Great Woman

Tomorrow we will meet together to celebrate the life of a great woman. She was my mother-in-law. She was a second mother to me. She put all other MIL's in the world to shame.

From the day we said "I do" she never stopped supporting our marriage, or supporting me. She told me what a blessing I was to her family, how happy she was that I was in her family, and that she loved me like I was her own. From her actions over the years, I know that she meant every word.

When Boaz and I needed time away from the kids early in our marriage, she was there. Whenever I was sick and needed some help, she was there. When I needed a listening ear or a shopping companion, she was there. She was always there.

When I decided to go back to college, she showed up faithfully every Saturday morning to take the kids for a few hours so I could study. When we decided to build a new house, twice, she was there, taking pictures and taking part in our happiness. When I graduated from college, she was there, bringing me gifts and going out to celebrate.

She never missed a birthday party. She never missed an opportunity to share of herself. To be around her was to be encouraged and uplifted. I loved her so much and I miss her so much. I was never able to give back to her as much as she gave to me. But in honor of her I know there is one thing I can do, one thing that she would love for me to do. Someday, when I'm a mother-in-law, I want to be just like her.

3 comments:

Gawdessness said...

A lovey epitaph.
You and your family have my deepest sympathies.

David Michael said...

I imagine she was very proud of your family! Grace and peace.

CJ said...

I also have a good relationship with my Mother In Law. She stepped in as my own mother stepped out and it's worked well! She's a blessing to us!

I'm sure she is just as proud of YOU as you are of her. Wanting to be like her is the best form of flattery and appreciation there is!