Monday, October 30, 2006

A Good Weekend

Bucky had a great birthday. He said it was his best one ever. On Thursday night we surprised him with an electric guitar. He thought we were headed to dinner and then his guitar lesson, so we told him to go put the acoustic guitar in the trunk. We had already loaded the box with his electric guitar in the trunk so when he opened the trunk he just jumped back and then just kind of wandered back and forth looking in the trunk. It was so cute.

Then we took him out to dinner. Since Babygirl and Blondie were sick, they stayed home together while the rest of us went out for mexican food. At the restaurant, Boaz told the waiter that it was Bucky's birthday, which resulted in him flapping some takeout boxes and holding a little cone over his nose like a chicken. It was very funny and I got it on my digital camera.

Then Boaz and Bubbles went home and I took Bucky to his music lesson. Since Babygirl wasn't there, Bucky got the whole hour to himself and they dug into all the new stuff and his teacher had time to go over how to use the guitar and the amplifier and get him started on power chords. When we got home he kept playing it until I made him go to bed, and then when I got up the next morning he was waiting on the couch so he could start playing as soon as I got up. This is the same kid that I have trouble getting up each morning! He had already showered and was just quietly waiting to play his new guitar. Ha.

Friday night seven of his friends, three grandparents and two cousins came for his party. I made him a Ginger Macadamia Coconut Carrot cake with spelt flour from a vegan cookbook, the Vegan With a Vengence. It was great. Everything I've made from that cookbook is good. The boys played with their airsoft guns outside for most of the evening, and then I locked them in the house at 11:30pm and turned on the alarm. At 7am they were wanting out, so I turned off the alarm and headed into the kitchen to make some Macadamia Caramel Cinnamon rolls. Those were a hit too, I just didn't make enough of them.

All of the boys were gone by 10:30am and we made Bucky go to bed. He insisted that he wasn't tired and wouldn't be able to sleep and he didn't want to go to bed, until Boaz threatened to paddle him and he grumpily obeyed. Thirty minutes later when I checked on him he was sound asleep and he didn't get up until around 3pm.

My FIL came over in the afternoon and helped us plant pansies around the front porch. Boaz brought dirt from the garden with his tractor, and FIL, Blondie, Bubbles and I raked dirt and spaced out the plants. After the plants were in the ground and mulched, I headed into the garage and dusted off a box of solar lights that I bought a couple of years ago. Blondie offered to help and so together we assembled and placed the lights around the porch too. It looks pretty cute. It still doesn't compare with most of the manicured, paid-gardener pampered yards in our neighborhood, but it's much improved.

That night we went to the annual neighborhood Halloween party. There was a hayride and potluck dinner and it was fun. Babygirl was still sick and had to miss out. The ride was too long and a bit cold, but we still had a pretty good time. Believe it or not, we don't know most of the people in our neighborhood. You'd think it'd be different in a gated neighborhood, but we only get together once a year, and different people come different years.

On Sunday after church Bucky wanted to spend some of his birthday money on Nintendo DS games, so he and I went off together to Best Buy. When we got home, Bubbles told me in a happy voice that the turtle died and then she ran off to play. This was a painful blow, especially in the way that the news was delivered. Boaz had told her not to tell Babygirl, but didn't realize I would be home so soon, and didn't tell her not to tell me. He wanted to be the one to tell me, because we've had the turtle for ten years and knew it would be somewhat upsetting news. It's hard to get too attached to a water turtle, but they really become a friend over the years in their own way. I think it's mostly just because she's seven that she didn't really get that I would be upset by what she was telling me.

We also found out this weekend that Bubbles is equally guilty in the food begging at school. I noticed that she was starting to get thick around the middle in her clothes so I weighed her, and she has gained five or six pounds since school started. Sigh. Both girls will tell you that they are still hungry and don't have enough food if you ask, yet they are gaining weight at an alarming speed. They have each added ten percent to their body weight. Four and five pounds doesn't seem like a lot, and it isn't for an adult, but it's a lot for a kid, especially when they haven't grown enough to make up for it.

I've found that I have to watch over them and control their portions at every meal. On the few occasions I've let them eat as much as they wanted, they ate until they were in physical pain and nearly crying. They just have no control. People look at me like I'm some kind of monster when I tell the girls they've had enough and can't have any more and they are saying they are still hungry. But all you have to do is look at them to see they aren't underfed. They are healthy and happy, they just have food issues. Whenever they are away from me, they eat everything they can get their hands on. We did great over the summer, and they were even starting to say they were "full" which was a major milestone. But I guess they just can't help themselves when they are surrounded by so much food every day, and with just a bit of bullying and begging they can have it.

I called the school secretary this morning, and for now the plan is this: If the lunchroom attendants see the girls eating anything that isn't theirs, they will have to sit at the "bad" table for a week. I don't know what the correct term for this table is now, but it was called the "silent" table when I was a kid. They will also give me a call when they see this behavior. I hope this will help curb the girls from this constant begging. I know it can't possibly be making them popular with their friends. I wouldn't like somebody who begged for my food every day and I'm sure their friends don't like it either.

The nice thing is that the secretary tried to encourage me by telling me how much the girls have changed over the last year, and how their manners are wonderful and how they just seem to be flourishing under our care. I see that too. They have made so many changes and they have held up so well. Bubbles is witty and loves to laugh and have fun. Blondie is so sweet natured and helpful. She is willing to give away some or all of what she has to anyone who doesn't have one/some. Things are even starting to feel more "normal". I'm not sure how to explain that one, but it feels more natural than it did. Real emotions are starting to grow in place of the plastic feelings we all had in the beginning.

The main problem is with their being disobedient when we aren't there. If we can ever conquer that one, I don't think I'll have anything else to complain about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's a thing wrong with helping kids control their portions. I tell my daughter all the time that she's had enough -- especially with sweets, she'd just keep going until she was sick if I didn't stop her. There's a difference between really being hungry and just wanting to eat, and it's harder for some kids to make that distinction than it is for others. Heck, it's hard for me, and I'm 35!