Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Little Miss Spider

D2 & D3 both checked out a copy of the same book at school. (D2 copies D3, her younger sister, all the time, but that is another post.) The book is called Little Miss Spider by David Kirk. I sat down to read it with D2 for her reading time homework while D3 was doing a worksheet.

The story is about a baby spider that hatches and can't find her mom. She enlists the help of an adult beetle named Betty. They search high and low for the baby spider's mom. The little spider is nearly eaten by some baby birds, but Betty swoops in and saves her.

Then Betty takes the frightened and sad little spider to her home and asks her if she would like to live with her. The little spider says "I've found my mother!" She and Betty share a hug.

And the last page of the book goes something like this: "So to find your mother, There's one certain test, Just look for the creature, That loves you the best!"

I couldn't help but see the similarities, and I said, "Look, Betty the beetle adopted the little spider!" And D2 said "Just like you adopted me!" and there were sweet hugs and snuggles following that. D3 noticed and said, "Will you do it like that with me too?" It was the very first sign of jealousy that I've seen in D3. I assured her that we would read it just the same way, and we did.

I have to recommend the book. I got it out to show DH after the girls went to bed, and of course I cried as I tried to read it to him. Of all the books they could have picked out and brought home, they picked that, having no idea the way it sort of mirrors their lives.

Just another one of God's little miracles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I yours. How exciting for your family, too. It's already been about 6 months since we've adopted Anna and she still speaks of the judge saying "the judge says I get to stay here." Anna has come along way since being placed with us. She's more assertive, outspoken, and just a plain little girl now. We've been truely blessed this year.

Away2me said...

What a sweet, wonderful story!

David Michael said...

What a God moment!