Monday, December 05, 2005

Placed

On Friday there was a district wide teacher work session so all the kids got out early. Son, D2 & D3 got home around 11:30 and D1 got home around 1. I took the first three shopping with me. I got some new shirts for both girls and some jeans for D3. She is very hard to fit because she is between a 6 and 7. We finally found some 7 slims that fit well at Old Navy.

I was planning a trip to Costco but just before we got there D1 called and told me that she had not brought her key with her to school, and was now locked out of the house. She had a book and a couple of cats to keep her company on the back porch until we got home. We stopped at the grocery store and bought chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and vanilla chips for making cookies. We went home and let D1 in and then D2 & D3 & I got to work. The girls told me that they had never helped to make cookies before! So that constituted a Kodak moment (or is that a Canon moment?) and we took some pictures. I was sad that they had never done it before, but also selfishly glad that I got to be first with them at something.

After we got the first batch in the oven, Agency Worker called. She said that the regional director for CPS was very upset that the girls had been in our home so long and not been officially placed with us. She said that if they weren't placed right away then they needed to return to their foster home. Ha! So everyone was gathering at CPS and our presence was requested right away.

Now imagine this: DH had just left to take D1 to a friend's house to spend the night, Son had just invited a friend over to our house to spend the night and he would be arriving in 30 minutes, and we had cookies in the oven! So I had to do some quick shuffling. I got on mapquest.com and looked up the address to CPS. I had Son call his friend to see if we could pick him up right away and take him with us. I called DH and told him to meet me at CPS. He called back and told me to meet him in town and we'd take one car. We managed to grab a cookie on the way out the door and I even remembered to turn off the oven!

We picked up DH and the six of us rushed to CPS to finalize the placement. The girls were very excited and hyper when we got there. They were happy to see Agency Worker and Foster Worker and their adoption class leader. We signed the papers acknowledging that we have received all the information about the girls and that we intend to adopt them in six months. Poor D3 forgot her purse when we left, and she had all her allowance in it. Normally I make her leave it at home for this very reason, but on the way out of the house in a rush I didn't notice that she had brought it. We all left together and they locked the doors as we went out, so we couldn't go back and get it. We promised her we would call today and see if they had found it.

We stopped at Cici's on the way home to celebrate. When we called CPS this morning they looked everywhere but couldn't find D3's purse. I will have a very sad little girl when she gets home today. Hopefully, the fact that we are celebrating her dad's birthday today will cheer her up. I baked him a cake this morning before work and we're taking him out for mexican food tonight. D1 has a choir concert tonight and a small solo so we'll be doing that tonight too. If we thought life was busy before the adoption, we had no idea what busy meant. I'm still trying to adjust the schedule bit by bit to save time where I can. My current idea is to try bathing the girls in the morning in order to save some of our evening time for spending together. Both D1 and Son are feeling the affects of the adoption and not being able to spend as much time with me. I miss them too and I'm trying my best to work all this out.

No comments: