Friday, March 24, 2006

Three A.M. on my First Day Off


Well here I sit. I've had trouble sleeping for the last week. There are a few reasons I can think of: 1) Nerves over quitting my job 2) I've been lying in bed too long every morning, dreading putting in those last few days at work 3) I haven't been taking my cal-mag supplements that keep my sleep regular.

So anyway, I fully expected to sleep like a baby tonight. Or maybe it was last night by now. Anyway, I woke up at 2:38 and realized my electric blanket was still on, and I was HOT. I'd just had a nightmare about witnessing a head-on collision. I was wide awake. Since I woke up yesterday at 3:45 and disturbed my husband with my tossing and turning, I decided to sneak out quietly, because he has to get up in an hour and go to work all day and really needs his sleep. I had to get my robe from the closet and then I tiptoed to the door and was struggling to open the door without making a sound, when suddenly I hear, "Just go on out and don't come back, I need to get my sleep!" I bit my tongue to keep from retorting that I was doing exactly that, because it would defeat my purpose to wake him up further by fighting with him.

My cat heard me get up and was determined to be let out of the laundry room. He was making quite a racket. My dilemma is that sometimes he tries to open my bedroom door, and that wouldn't really help Boaz sleep if that happens. On the other hand, a yowling door banging cat won't either, so I took the risk. Then the unsatisified cat was determined to be fed. Normally he doesn't eat until 6am, but since cats can't tell time, he decided now was the right time. So he's in there crunching away.

Blondie went to bed with a cold, so I gave her half a dose of nyquil to help her. Evidently it didn't work as well as I had hoped. She was coughing so loud it sounded like she had her mouth open, pointed straight at the bedroom door, putting as much force behind it as she could. I decided to give her some Triaminic Cough & Sore Throat tablets that I have, hoping that would help her sleep for the rest of the night. Halfway up the stairs I had a short debate with myself about whether I should go back down and get her a drink of water. The side that wanted to get the water won out, since it pointed out that if she asks for a drink I'd have to go right back down anyway. So I slipped into Blondie's room with the drink and medicine. She was awake and obviously not feeling well. I gave her the drink first and she gulped away. (Good thing I listened to myself.) Then I gave her the medicine which she chewed up and then she gulped the rest of her water.

So goes the start of my first day off. And it looks like there's a good chance I'll have some company.

2 comments:

Norma said...

Sunshine...the Annie's Attic crochet patterns are up for just a day. Thank you for complimenting my bookmark! Email me at jnwalsh1@yahoo.com and I will give you the details.

CJ said...

Yeah! I'm glad you enjoyed your first day!