Thursday, June 09, 2005

Red Tape!

We are getting so close to finishing all the red tape for the adoption! We are scheduled to take CPR on June 20 and then First Aid on June 27. DH and I still need to get our TB skin tests done, make a copy of our house plan and come up with a fire escape plan, do our observation with a real foster family and then we are done! It's exciting to be so close! The agency is going to schedule our home study for the last week in June. They are being so great and working with us because they know we are trying to get this done as soon as possible. DH will be going to Israel for three weeks in July, so we are trying to finish before then. I would really like to get my new kids in my home before school starts to make the transition easier for them. Paperwork aside, I still have some housecleaning to do! My closet upstairs is my "craft closet" which also means junk closet. I have to clean it out so my future son can store his clothes and toys in there! I also have to get a new bunkbed and nightstand, chest, toybox, etc. for him. Daughter has been so wonderful about being willing to share her room. She's been working on cleaning out half of her closet with no prompting from me! The bathroom may be a bit more difficult... :) My father-in-law is donating a twin bed so I only have to get a headboard and nightstand for my new daughter. Daughter has tons of books that will be great for the age group we are adopting from. She keeps everything. Come to think of it, so does Son. I wonder where they get that packrat trait? Surely not from me (yeah right). I'm getting very excited! But please pray for me because one family member (I won't mention who but I know that some of you know) is not being supportive, and it hurts. Everyone else has been so wonderful and excited for us. I know that we have a lot of challenges ahead with adopting older children, but all children are God's children and he has called us to do this. I thank God every day for the support and leadership of my husband. He reminds me to look to God for answers and prays with me. I couldn't ask for a better support system than him. Our only truly big purchase will be to buy a mini-van. We are putting it off until right before we have to have it. We intend to keep both of our economy cars and park the van most of the time, only using it when the whole family goes out together. For now we are trying to decide which van and whether to get new or used. I'm leaning toward used to save money, but we'll see what happens. I can't believe we're going to have a mini-van. We always swore we wouldn't, but it's amazing what love can do. Also, please pray for my mother-in-law. She will be going into a nursing home soon and is very upset about it. It is quite understandable since she is only 63 years old, but my father-in-law can no longer care for her by himself at home. She can't even stand up and is dead weight when he lifts her. He has hurt himself several times and is just too old to be able to care for her alone. Thank you for your prayers.

2 comments:

QueenBee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
QueenBee said...

THanks for your comment on my blog! It is so exciting to see how similar our situations are! I have to comment on the minivan thing - we bought a used Kia Sedona and got an incredible deal. Although Kia is not something we would have looked at, it was what we could afford. After doing tons of looking around, we found the Kia Sedona and the Ford Windstar to be the cheapest out there! FYI! I, too have a family member that is being unsupportive - in fact, that word probably isn't strong enough to really explain the situation. I would love to talk with you more about this and pray for each other in this area, so i hope you will email me at bgoehring@earthlink.net so we can talk "offline" about it. I don't have anything on my own blog about it and don't want to say anything about it there.

I don't think we have to do an observation - at least not that I know of yet. We're almost through with our classes and then we start our home study! Tonight we talk about sexual abuse and i'm a little nervous about that class - i'm sure it will be the toughest one yet!

God Bless you and your family!