Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Stay at Home Mom?

Boaz and I have a new goal. We are trying to pay off some debts so that I can become a stay-at-home mom. Life is too short to not enjoy it. We get up, go to work, come home to rush through dinner and homework and then head for bed. This happens over and over, Monday through Friday, leaving the weekends for trying to catch up on the things that didn't get done during the week and of course, church. We don't get to spend much if any quality time with anyone.

We're hoping to have the debts paid down enough that I can quit at the end of May, right at the start of summer vacation. We almost decided to do it now, but it will go a lot smoother in the long run if we wait a little while. It felt like we were rushing into the decision without thinking it through, so we feel a lot better about it now.

I'm also considering homeschooling Blondie and Bubbles next year. I think that a year with me tutoring them one-on-two would do wonders for their scholastic abilities. I also think it would give me time to work on their behaviors so that when they do return to school they will be more obedient with their teachers. I think that it is important for them socially and spiritually to be involved in a school setting, but I think they need some catch up time. I think they need some good, intensive MOMMY time that they've never had. A stretch goal would be to actually get Blondie caught up with where she should be in school, since she had to repeat first grade. I don't know if that is realistic, we'll just have to see. Maybe after a year away and taking her growth hormones, she might even be closer to her rightful size when she returns.

This morning we had the Valentine's assembly line going. Bubbles didn't bring home a list until last night, and due to her behavior she had to go to bed early. So this morning we hurriedly addressed valentines. I wonder if she's ever gotten to participate before?

Happy Valentine's day everyone!

3 comments:

No Longer In Crisis said...

Wow - what an incredible goal! You know, I have thought the same thing, and wonder if my excuses for not becoming a stay-at-home mom are just that...excuses. You definately get "cool points" from me for setting the goals you have for the girl's education. It certainly does sound like large doses of parental contact and structure would work wonders.

Anonymous said...

After leaving the corporate world to be a stay at home mom, I can say I miss the money a bit, and I miss the people and the friendships, but I don't miss going in to work every day. Being a SAHM is SOOOO rewarding. We had to cut back on spending, but it is SO worth it. Good luck and I hope you can swing it!

David Michael said...

Great goal! I hope it happens for you.