Friday, May 19, 2006

Adoption Day Prep

We've had a good morning so far. Because it's adoption day, I let the girls stay home from school today. Babygirl and Bucky both went to school for half days because they have test preparations for the end of school and for fun day. I didn't have to make any lunches because we are heading to Cici's to celebrate after the adoption is final. Then Bucky has a slumber party tonight. We almost didn't let him go, but then he probably would have been moping around all night, and that wouldn't be a very good start for us as a family, with him being resentful and Blondie and Bubbles seeing how clearly unhappy he was.

This morning when I woke up the girls, Blondie tattled on Bubbles. Bubbles lied. I took her in another room instead of making a big ordeal of it in front of everyone. I explained to her that when people lie to each other, they build a wall between them that is full of lies. I told her that when she lies to me it proves to me that she doesn't trust me, and it also proves to me that I can't trust her. I told her that wasn't a good way to start out our adoption day. She immediately confessed. I think that is showing improvement. When she got up on Mother's Day, she told me that she was going to break the bad streak and be good all day for me, and she did. She hasn't done anything blogworthy since. :) Blondie had a bad day on Monday, and her teacher wrote a whole book about it in her folder. She had to write sentences and go to bed early that night, and she's had several little outbursts this week, but all in all nothing terrible.

Bucky woke up quiet and staring out the window several times this morning. I spoke to him a couple of times and he didn't respond until I repeated myself. I could tell something was wrong. He didn't want to tell me. I took him in another room and pressed the issue. He said he didn't want to talk about it. I asked him if something had happened the night before, because he talks on the phone to his friends a lot at night. I was having trouble figuring him out, because usually he is bouncing off the walls when he is headed to a slumber party. Then it struck me. Today is adoption day, and maybe that was bothering him. When he came down the stairs, I was seated between Blondie and Bubbles having breakfast, and he always wants to sit next to me at the table. Normally I don't even eat breakfast, but since today is a special day I was making the effort and I'm sure he noticed.

Anyway, he admitted that he was upset because of adoption day. I had mixed feelings. I want him to welcome the girls with open arms, but clearly that is not what he is feeling today. My heart also went out to him because I know it is hard to go from being the baby of the family for twelve years to having two troublesome little sisters. Babygirl and Bucky have both remarked that they don't even like coming home anymore because the girls cause so much trouble.

I reassured Bucky that we will always love him just as much as we always have, and that he isn't losing anything. In fact I have more time to spend with him now than I ever have since I've been staying home. I told him that if we hadn't adopted the girls I'd still be working and he'd still have a lot less time with me than he does now.

After we talked he perked up. I asked him to please keep any gloominess to himself for the sake of the girls, because they just don't need to see that. He said that of course he would.

Blondie and Bubbles and I have been getting ready to go see the judge. We're freshly showered, hair dried, and toenails and fingernails painted this morning. I'm getting ready now and I'm going to curl the girls' hair when I'm finished. The camera battery is charging and the girls are playing Mario Kart on the Gamecube.

Boaz went to work this morning and is going to meet us at the courthouse. It's gonna be a great day.

5 comments:

No Longer In Crisis said...

Dear, dear Sunshine. I'm so happy for your family today. It has been a long road full of emotions and challenges. I'm grateful to have been able to follow it. We are hopefully not too far behind. My best to you and your new forever family!

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you and your family. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Doesn't it feel wonderful?

Lisa said...

Congratulations on your adoption. I'm so happy for you.