Monday, May 01, 2006

May 19th

We have a date. On May 19 at 1pm we will legally become Blondie and Bubbles forever parents. We are actually eligible to adopt them as soon as May 11, but our county courthouse has a special "adoption day" each month, which features balloons, teddie bears, cookies and punch, so we opted to participate in that. Otherwise you might end up with a divorce just before and after your case, and that isn't so pleasant.

I can't believe we are so close. How has six months gone by so quickly? The girls are so entrenched in our lives that it's hard to remember when they weren't here. The only thing that is still hard for me is when I tell people that I have four kids, and I get the inevitable raised eyebrows. One woman, a stranger, even looked my children over and said, "so are you finished now?" It's amazing the way people kind of look down on you for having so many children. The defensive part of me wants to say, "I adopted two of them, silly" but then that would somehow agree with the idiocy of their opinion that I shouldn't have had so many children. I don't get those looks when I only have three of them with me, but people turn up their noses like we're white trash when I have all four of them. Okay, not everybody, but enough that I notice.

I never realized before that it was socially inappropriate to have four children. LOL. And the really funny thing is that people treat us like saints if they know that we adopted them. When I walk through church holding their hands, people watch us go by with ear splitting grins. It's wonderful the way the whole church has basically adopted them with us, but I'm certainly not deserving of the praise they heap on me. We have brought home two precious angels to live with us, even if they do act more like little devils at times. They've come a long way since they moved in.

Anyway, a new countdown is underway. We have eighteen days to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is SOOOO exciting. Officially, legally yours. I"m so happy for ya'll!

No Longer In Crisis said...

YAY! Praise God!! (On my birthday, even!) I simply can't believe it's been that long. I remember reading your story about meeting the girls for the first time - the two of you praying together in the car, and how tears streamed down my cheeks as I read your words and prayed. What an amazing journey - there really are still happy endings, aren't there?