Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Happy 2006

We had a great Christmas. I couldn't get over the difference that just adding two people to our family made on the number of gifts under the tree. Wow. And it was so fun. It took nearly two hours to open all the gifts. We made each child go one at a time, in order of when they got up, rotating to the next child after each gift.

D2 told us that they had never gotten any presents before, except from their grandma. It was bittersweet to know that we were providing them their first ever real Christmas morning. I was more than happy to provide this for them, but so sad, deeply sad, that they hadn't experienced it before.

We went to my friend's house for a few days after Christmas. We all had a great time. I was able to spend quite a lot of time with D1, and we both enjoyed that a lot. Son loves to play video games with DH and Friend's husband, so we hardly even see them while we are there. D2 & D3 and Friend's kids spent one day with the guys and went to the park and one day with the girls. We took them to a drive through wildlife park and petting zoo. They loved it and I took lots of pictures. That night we ALL went to a japanese restaurant where they cook right in front of you. We all really enjoyed that. We had to get D1 to talk DH into going, because of the $$. He really has a soft spot for her.

Now that we're back home and getting back on schedule, I'm trying to figure out a way to spend extra time with D1, Son, and DH. The new plan is that I will go to D1's room on Monday nights at 7p, Son on Thursdays at 7p and everyone will be in their rooms in bed or watching a movie by 8p on Friday and Saturday so DH and I can spend time alone. I already spend a lot of time alone with D2 & D3, so it isn't necessary to schedule any time for them. I want to be available for D1 & Son to spend some one on one time each week that they can count on.

Honestly, the girls are doing great. D2 is starting to look slimmer, which is great. She had quite the pot belly when we first brought her home. And the behavior of both girls has improved so much since we got them. And I'm so, so lucky that they don't scream and throw tantrums. In fact, I got complimented by a stranger on their good behavior when we were at Subway the other day.

:)

No comments: