Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Pediatric Endocrinologist

I'm still concerned about D2's size. She is eight years old but is significantly smaller than her six year old sister. She stands the same height as a normal four year old. Even though my small town family doctor wasn't concerned and just wanted to watch her for now, I'm not satisfied. I don't want to keep waiting and possibly pass the window of opportunity for helping her.

So we have an appointment with a pediatric endocrinologist in two weeks. If there is something wrong, I want to know what it is so we can find out if there is anything we can do to help her grow. If she is not going to grow to normal height no matter what we do, then we need to start preparing her for life as a very small person. In other words, being able to care for herself in a world built for much larger people. Driving comes to mind as the first difficulty, not to mention societal pressure for just being different. Right now people just assume that she is much younger than she is, which I think has contributed to her acting like a baby and making baby talk. We are encouraging her to act her age. If you look at her face, she doesn't have the look of a four year old.

I really, really hope that good nutrition will solve it, but I have my doubts. So just pray for D2 that she will grow, and pray for me that I will have peace in this situation, and please pray that the doctor will find out what is wrong when we see him in two weeks.

2 comments:

QueenBee said...

praying

David Michael said...

Bless you for not giving up!