Friday, May 04, 2007

Stinky

Blondie is the toughest nut to crack and I know it is because she has endured more. However there was a good sign the other day - she came home and asked if she could talk to me because she had been thinking about THEM. She refers to them by their first names. She almost never mentions them, and when she does it is just about some activity she participated in with bio-dad. Anyway, she told me about something bad they had done in front of her. I already knew this information, but I don't think she knew that I knew. Anyway, I assured her that we would never subject her to that, and she was safe here. I told her that if she has bad thoughts she should remember that nothing like that has ever happened here so she knows it won't. Then try to think about good things. I was very encouraged that she asked to talk to me about it.

Then she lies, disobeys, lies some more and steals something, and I'm discouraged again. She's going to bed an hour early tonight, 30 minutes early tomorrow night, and I'm not sure what to do about the stealing. I haven't even told Boaz yet because I only found out this morning.

Bubbles and Blondie both had an opportunity to lie to me last night, but Bubbles told the truth. Blondie lied. I made a point to talk about it with each of them, and talk about their consequences of making good and bad decisions. I showed Bubbles how by telling the truth she didn't receive a punishment and how Blondie lied and has to go to bed early Saturday night. I discussed the very same things with Blondie. I'm trying so hard to help them connect their consequences with their actions, so that maybe they'll begin to think before they act. Sometimes I think that Bubbles has an easier time and is making more progress, but then she'll turn around and do something so devious I'm just amazed.

On a different subject, Bubbles has body odor. This began when she was 7. As Boaz puts it, "she smells like an old man." He's right. Ugh. I mentioned it to the nurse at Blondie's doctor's office and she suggested that I take her to see her pediatrician. I haven't made an appointment yet. It concerns me, but it also could be that she is just hitting puberty a bit early. I don't know. It just kills me that I might have two with endocrine problems. I feel angry with their bio-mom.

Anyway, my 8 year old is now using deodorant.

2 comments:

Humincat said...

Wow. What an amazing mom you are. God Bless.

Vanessa said...

My 8-year-old needs deodorant too. I wasn't expecting it to happen for at least another 3 or 4 years, but here we are. It's really a bit alarming.