Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Some Hope

Last night I saw a glimmer of hope. Or maybe it was a great big ray. Anyway, I found out that last Friday, Blondie got her ball taken up on the bus by the bus driver because it was rolling around on the floor of the bus. No one is allowed to have any toys out of their backpacks while they are on the bus, and my kids know that I expect them to follow the bus rules. In fact, if you have too many citations, you can get kicked off the bus completely. Anyway, she didn't tell us about it, but on Monday she asked for her ball back and one of her siblings heard her and told me. I didn't mention it until after Boaz got home, because I wanted her to do her homework and chores and help with dinner and not be upset.

We talked to her after dinner. We went in our room for privacy and Boaz asked her if she had done anything today at school or on the bus that we needed to know about. She said no. Then he asked her if there was anything from last week, and she told us about the ball incident. Boaz asked her why she didn't tell us and she said because she thought she would get in "big trouble". He asked her if she was trying to hide it or if she just forgot. She said she was trying to hide it.

Then Boaz asked what she thought would be the appropriate punishment, and she said she shouldn't get to go to her activity time on Wednesday night because she loves it so much. This was said with tears streaming down her face.

I was really impressed with her last night, because it is so different from how she used to be. First of all, she wouldn't have admitted anything happened on the bus, and would have called everyone else a liar, and it would have taken 15 minutes just to get her to admit what happened. She also would have taken the bait and said she "just forgot" to tell us when Boaz asked her that. She also would have said "I don't know" when asked what she thought her punishment would be.

I told her that she would not be allowed to take any more toys to school for the rest of the school year, which is what her punishment would have been if she had told me what happened in the first place. But since she tried to hide it, she also had to go to bed early one night. I told her that because she told the truth about everything, and was even brave enough to say that she should miss Wednesday night, that she could go to bed early on Tuesday night instead. She thanked me and we hugged and I told her that I was very proud of the progress she has made and that I can really see a difference in her. And it was true.

I hope it continues.

Has anyone ever played farkel? We played the last couple of nights and had a lot of fun. It's good for a big group with some smaller kids mixed in because the rules are pretty simple. You need six dice and the rules can be found online. We also like to play Crazy Eights and Old Maid.

2 comments:

Cozyquilter.mom said...

Yes, Farkel is great fun, with the dice.

My Son brought the rules home in the 5th grade, and we played it with the kids and my brother and Sister in law. Lots of laughter and really fun.

We'll have to remember to do that this year at reunion.

I had tears of happiness by the end of your story. So happy things were good for you and for her.

Love.
K.

Anonymous said...

Yay, blondie!