Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Joey, The Six Hundred & Seventy Dollar Cat


Yesterday, my daughter's 5 month old kitten Joey just laid around on the couch and slept most of the day. We thought it was strange, because normally he is a ball of energy zooming through the house, tripping people and driving my cat Gabriel crazy. So we took him up to her room to see if he would eat and drink. He wasn't interested, and he looked like he was drugged.

So I called the emergency vet clinic. They asked about poisons and cleaners he might have gotten into, but we haven't been cleaning, and he's an indoor only cat. The only thing I could think of is that he had his first kitty shots last Wednesday, along with being neutered. I was sure he was having a reaction to the shots. The technician recommended that we bring him in.

I waited about three minutes, trying to decide, because I know how expensive a trip to the emergency vet clinic is. We've gone twice before, once with a snake bitten dog, and once with a dying guinea pig. I don't have good memories of the place. Then Daughter came downstairs holding Joey and sat down on the couch. He crawled off the couch and fell on the floor then just lay stunned where he fell with one front leg just sticking up in the air. That image stirred me right out of my chair, and Daughter & I hurriedly bundled Joey into the car and took off.

When we got there, we found out that he was running fever and badly constipated. The doctor said that he was teething, so that maybe he didn't want to drink any water. She didn't think his immunizations were causing the problem. We really don't know what caused him to get constipated. But she recommended antibiotics and an enema, along with an overnight stay. Bill - $670.13.

No cat is worth $670.13. But Daughter is. There is no way I could refuse to pay that bill, and let that kitten die, and see my daughter crushed before my eyes. She loves that kitten. He sleeps on her bed with her, and lives in her room. I prayed for that cat all the way to the clinic. But not really for the cat, just for my daughter, because I don't want her to experience the hurt of losing this kitten. I love the kitten too, and putting a price on life is just impossible.

I called the clinic this morning, and his fever is down and he's eating again. Praise the Lord. We are all very relieved, and are supposed to be able to bring him home tonight.

P.S. That's not a picture of Joey, but it looks very much like him.

2 comments:

QueenBee said...

Don't feel too bad, Stacy. My friend recently spent more than $5000 on vet bills for her dog.

No Longer In Crisis said...

Vet bill - $670. The nuzzling of a kitten against you on the sofa - priceless. I've been there with my cats, and they've all been worth it (well, I've been worth it). I'm glad your sweet kitty is doing better.