Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Sleep Walker

Since I don't have any adoption news, I thought you might enjoy a story about sleepwalking. My husband is notorious for doing crazy things while asleep.

Last night, he suddenly raised up and ran off the end of the bed. This happened once last week too. He then proceeded to shake and choke the post on his side. I woke up startled and told him to "stop, wake up". He moved to my post and began to choke and shake it even more vigorously than the first. Again I ordered him to stop it and wake up, and he finally started to come out of it. So we went back to sleep.

But then later he sat up in bed and pressed a hand down on my back. I told him to wake up and stop it, "don't hurt me". I didn't really think he would hurt me because this is a common thing for him, but I was trying to use the words to startle him enough to wake up. He told me that I should go sleep in another room. But I didn't and we made it safely through the rest of the night.

He has severe ragweed allergies, and is on both Claritin-D and Benadryl to control the symptoms. We are thinking this might have caused the bizarre sleepwalking last night. He's had problems with it before, but we've been able to control it with reduced stress and a regular bedtime schedule.

Nighty-night!

3 comments:

merry said...

I pop in occasionally from cubbiegirl or ciNdy's links.

Just wanted to tell you that, while he wasn't sleepwalking, my husband did crazy things in his sleep when he was on Claritin-D. The doc switched him to regular Claritin and gave him guafinesin (sp?) for a decongestant. It was just as effective for the allergies, and no more crazy nights for us!

Just wanted to give you a trick we learned in case it helps you & your DH.

Sunshine said...

Thanks Mary! I'll pass that on to my husband.

David Michael said...

Years ago I woke up on top of my wife choking her. This was after I saw the Clint Eastwood movie Tightrope.