Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Hard to Explain

It might seem crazy, but I find it hard to explain sometimes what the problem with Blondie is. She's so sweet and charming to everyone else. In fact, she's even sweet and charming with me. So what's the problem? I know, but it's hard to explain.

Before I start over with a new counselor, I want to have my thoughts collected, so I'm going to use this blog to do it. Forgive me if I sound like I'm nitpicking, but I need to write down everything so I can see trends.

This morning she complained that people keep getting glue on her lunchbox. I asked her how this was happening. She said that she gets her lunchbox out and puts it under her cubby for easy access when it is time to go to lunch. I suggested that she just leave her lunchbox in her backpack so it wouldn't get glue on it. She frowned at me. I asked if it took that long to unzip her backpack and pull out her lunchbox. She said no. So again I said to just leave her lunchbox in her backpack and then it won't get glue on it. She stared at me frowning with no response looking like she hated me.

So then I got frustrated and told her that I wasn't saying she HAD to leave her lunchbox in her backpack, and that she could do it however she wanted, but she had asked for my help and I was just making a suggestion. I told her that the only person we can control is ourselves, and the only way to protect her lunchbox was to keep it put up. I asked her what was more important to her, having the lunchbox ready to go, or keeping glue off of it? She said it was more important to keep glue off it, but she just kept frowning at me and looking mad. I asked her what she wanted me to say and she said she didn't know. So then I told her that it wasn't very nice to ask for my advice and then stand there glaring at me after I offered a suggestion and I made her apologize to me for acting ugly. Then we just moved on and the rest of the morning was okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you said "it wasn't very nice to ask for my advice and then stand there glaring...." but in your explanation of the situation, you did not describe her asking for advice. Only described her telling you or maybe even venting that glue keeps getting on her lunchbox. If that is the case, and she did not ask for your advice.. then aren't you the one who wasn't very nice?

She was venting and you were "fixing". Often times our kids need our ear and our understanding more than they need anything else.