Thursday, April 10, 2008

More Hugs

We all need more hugs. Babygirl is going through a transitional time and needs more affection right now, and was wise enough to tell me.

I've also noticed that Blondie is making a point to come to me each morning and when she gets home from school to get a hug. And I've noticed that I'm more receptive because I'm not so mad at her. Most of my hugs for her in the past have been the unenthusiastic one armed kind, because she defies me at every point and then wants a hug. I'm going to make a point to give her warmer, two armed hugs. :)

She's doing better over all. She did have another episode of denying reality two nights ago when Boaz asked her if she was doing a particular thing, and she said no, and then he told her that he saw her do it and she still denied it. It's very frustrating. But it's happening less often. She seems to be doing more of her schoolwork, but she could just be covering better right now. Hopefully she really is, but we'll find out tomorrow or next Friday, whenever report cards come out.

I'm very concerned that she will fail fourth grade this year. Her grades have been atrocious and she has failed the state exams. If she does fail, it will be her second time to do so and she will be in the same grade as Bubbles. I hate to see that happen, but there's nothing I can do. I've tried every way I know to motivate her with minimal results. I've seen the most response from her when I'm excited that she brought home her homework, so that "I get to learn about social studies tonight" or "I love those hard spelling words!" I think she'll work for praise, it's just been so hard to give it when I was so mad. It's like I read on another blog, I've been forced to examine things in myself that I'm not proud of. But I'm really trying.

1 comment:

FosterAbba said...

The school stuff is just so hard. We hassle with our kid about school, too. We are more worried about her, though, because she wasn't consistently enrolled in school and came to us at age 10 (almost 11) completely illiterate and unable to do even basic math.

We've done a lot of catching up in the year and a half she's been with us, but she's still really far behind. On the days that she cooperates, we think she could catch up in another couple of years. On the days she doesn't, we wonder if she has any prayer of graduating with a high school diploma someday.