Friday, October 21, 2005

Progress

We are hoping to get the girls halfway through November. And it all depends on their assigned CPS worker, D. Agency Worker talked to D yesterday. D had heard from the girls' therapist, and from her garbled message on the answering machine, thought the therapist said it would be a bad idea to pursue adoption right now. Agency Worker was pretty sure this is not right, and that most likely the therapist was saying that the goodbye visit with the birthmom was a bad idea, not the adoption.

Agency Worker said that Girl2 has said during her sessions with the therapist that she doesn't want to be adopted. But she is only six years old, and honestly, she doesn't understand her choices. She can't go back to her birth home, and she can't stay in foster care forever. Besides that, she attended an open house last weekend with her foster family, and she approached one of the foster dads there and asked him if he would adopt her. I think she & Girl1 are both very confused, and we need to get them moved into our home as quickly as possible. We will be able to soothe their fears and help them start to settle into a permanent home.

Agency Worker is planning to call D again in a couple of days. Everything hinges on D doing the paperwork for placement. Please pray that she will make this a priority and get it done so that our family can move forward.

I had a comment below from Foster Child Advocate and she was concerned about the possibility that we would try to erase the girls' history. We would never do that. In fact we discussed framing and hanging a picture that the girls have of them with their birthparents. After many hours of training and reading books on adoption, I understand the loss that foster/adopted children feel. I will encourage them to talk about their past and be open with them. I will help them understand that it's okay to love their biological parents. I'm not in a contest with them. I only want to provide the girls a safe, loving home and be their adoptive mother. I am here to fill their needs, not vice versa. I pray that God will help me to continue to be as selfless as I can as I strive to help them grow into beautiful, godly, independent, emotionally stable young women.

5 comments:

No Longer In Crisis said...

Stacy, I just wanted to share with you that when God works, He really works. Cindy got progress and a meeting with her workers supervisor, Cubbiegirl might get an 8 month old, and TONIGHT we are getting 2 kids!! We are getting a 4 yr. old and a 2 month old. No telling how long they will be with us - but this is activity - and God is really at work in all our lives. It would be so cool for the girls to be with you come Thanksgiving!!

Foster Child Advocate said...

That sounds like a really beautiful idea. I understand why a lot of parents desire to cut off a child from what may have been a painful past, but I really love that you are not threatened by their mom and want to help them stay connected. This will help your girls more than you might imagine. May God bless your family now and in the years to come.

QueenBee said...

So happy for you! I can't wait to get more news and hope you get it quickly!

Sunshine said...

I hope I didn't steer you wrong, Foster Child Advocate. By staying connected, I hope you don't mean contact with their birth mother. It was an abusive relationship that was ended by the state. I won't be allowed to have them contact their mother, nor would I choose to. However, I will be very supportive of the girls feelings for her and their choice to talk about their past whenever they want. I'm glad to have any advice and input that you'd like to provide. I want to make sure I do the very best I can in raising these girls.

David Michael said...

Amen! Congratulations on your new daughters. I look forward to reading your blogs as God blesses your family with grace and peace.