Tuesday, November 29, 2005

You Didn't Hatch Out of an Egg


So this morning D2 got my soon-to-be-patented lecture, "You Didn't Hatch Out of an Egg". We were sitting in the car waiting for the bus and she took off her gloves. I told her to put one glove in each pocket of her coat so she wouldn't lose them. Both girls have large fluffy gloves and their coat pockets are kind of small and only have enough room for one glove each. I saw her trying to stuff both gloves into one pocket. I repeated to her to put one glove in each pocket or that the extra one would fall out and get lost. She continued to stuff both gloves in one pocket and then folded her hands in her lap.

She did all this with me looking right at her and she knew it. So I told her to take one of her gloves out and put it in the other pocket. I asked her why she put them both in one pocket when I told her not to, and she said "because I wanted to." I told her that she will mind me, so she may as well do it the first time I tell her or she will just have to do it twice. She did as I asked.

Then I explained to her that she didn't hatch out of an egg. I told her how mama alligators lay a pile of eggs and then cover them up and leave. After a while the babies hatch and they are completely capable of taking care of themselves from the time they hatch. They don't need a mama and a daddy to take care of them. But baby humans don't hatch out of eggs. God gave them parents to take care of them until they are grown. Human parents feed you and take care of you and give you advice for helping you. I explained that I was eight years old once too, and that I found out that gloves fall out if there isn't enough room for both of them in your pocket and then you lose one.

I have no idea how much of that sunk in, but she got on the bus with a glove in each pocket.

No comments: